Sunday, June 13, 2010

What Can You Do To Help the Earth?

Today I will write about global warming. Global warming is an increase in the average temperature of the Earth's atmosphere and the consequences are climate change. Global warming is caused by many different things, but the main cause is human activity. When people drive cars and they have used all the gas the carbon is instantly released into carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. That is killing many things including our Earth and animals. Global warming is threatening one of the most popular animals of Antarctica - the penguin. Global warming is causing many penguins to diebecause they lack food to eat. Polar bears are dying of globalwarming because they are losing their homes. Ice is melting which means they can’t walk and they are drowning. Seals are dying as well. Once a seal loses itshome it swims around until it can find ice to live on. Most seals swimaround day and night to look for shelter, and when they don’t findhomes they drown. Now I could name many other names of animalsthat are dying but let’s focus on the positive side. How can we stop global warming? I know how I can. Here arefive things I can do to help the Earth and make it a better place:I will start to walk more and ride my bike more, (that’s good for the body and lives of other animals.) I will take shorter showers.Change all the light bulbs to go-green bulbs.Use less heat in the winter and less air conditioning in the summer.Use cold water more than hot. Those are some things I am doing. What can you do to help the Earth?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Nisa! (How old are you again?) Read this to my five-year-old son (you remember Xen, right?), and he got a lot out of your writing. I like the idea of shorter showers and riding bikes instead of driving. Never realized that switching light bulbs to "greener" ones could help the earth (so thanks, I learned something new today!).

    What other things could help the earth? I think eating less meat can help. Although I LOVE eating ground beef (especially hamburgers and burritos), our family has been trying to eat less meat per day, per week. The amount of money and energy spent toward keeping cows (and other animals) to kill for food is horrible to the earth.

    Keep up the great writing! Someday, I'll be reading YOUR books. :-D

    --Lily Chien-Davis (from your mom's amazing memoir class last year at VONA)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nisa Sweetie!
    I love what you've written! This subject is near & dear to my heart. It makes me mad to see that some people still want to debate whether global warming is truly an issue. You have to ask yourself what interests they are serving by doing that. For my part, I'm helping to get 1.8 megawatts of solar panels installed on buildings at my job. I'm organizing a 17 million dollar Solar & Energy Efficiency project! We are going to convert all the street lights to a more efficent technology called inductive lighting and replace a bunch of inefficeint air conditioning equipment. That should help a little bit, & I will make sure to encourage other city staff people to do projects like this too. I like to walk to the store with my re-usable shopping bags & I drive my small car as much as possible rather than my truck. I really appreciate that you are attempting to increase awareness on this really important subject. I love & miss you. Hope to see you some time soon.
    Love,
    Uncle Warren

    ReplyDelete